- Advertisement -

TRAGIC FAREWELL Three victims of merciless shooting by BDF soldier laid to rest

705

Today was a somber Saturday morning in Borite ward, Kgomokasitwa, when the community gathered to bid farewell to Elizabeth Mosadinyana Ramolala, Katlego Ramolala, and Alefa Lelentle Ramolala, three beloved family members whose lives were tragically cut short on February 25.

 

 

The trio, brutally killed and burned by Lance Corporal Moagi Mokomeng of the BDF, were laid to rest amidst an outpouring of grief and remembrance. Multitudes from near and far thronged the village, not only to witness the burial but also to honour the lives of the deceased, whose stories of kindness, resilience, and promise left an indelible mark on those who knew them.

 

A retired teacher and a pillar of her community, Elizabeth Mosadinyana Ramolala was remembered by her second-born daughter, Thandie Onyana Ramolala, as a woman of boundless generosity and unwavering faith. She said her mother’s life was a testament to selflessness as she raised not only her own children but also countless young people in the village, who regarded her as a mother figure.

Tragically, Onyana added, it was this very kindness that may have led to her untimely death, as the man accused of her murder had grown up under her care and guidance. “Bopelonomi, bo bolaile Mama. Bopelonomi, bo balaile mmasiloanoka. Le Setswana se se reng, o bolawa key o o jang nae,” she said as she spoke on behalf of her siblings – an elder sister, a younger sister and a younger brother.

Beside Elizabeth lay her granddaughter, Katlego Ramolala, a bright young girl who had recently completed her junior secondary education and was eagerly awaiting the start of her Form 4 studies. Described as humble and mature beyond her age, her dreams of pursuing her BGCSE were abruptly shattered, leaving a void in the hearts of her family and peers. Katlego’s potential, her laughter, and her aspirations were remembered as symbols of a future that will now remain unfulfilled.

Mokomeng killed the trio as well as attempting to kill another family member as well as Sergeant Thabo Dibotelo. He appeared in court this past Monday for arraignment, and faces six charges – three counts of murder, two of attempted murder, and arson. The prosecution has since hinted that there may be more charges against the army man who was arrested in Ntlhantlhe village days after his crime following a manhunt manned by both the police and the army.

Mokomeng, allegedly gunned down three before setting their dead bodies on fire. The suspect, once considered a close family friend,  is alleged by the bereaved family, to have raped a 15-year-old family member in December 2023, although the family says at the time, they never suspected him to have been the perpetrator until recently when evidence started appearing and pointing to him. The bereaved family now suspects that he was enraged by this emerging case against him as he was even served with court papers summoning him to appear at Lobatse Magistrate’s Court on March 5th for the rape case.

The suspicion by members of the bereaved family, according to weekly paper The Midweek Sun, is that he was going to kill every member of that family to conceal evidence, He is said to have been on duty at Glen Valley BDF camp when he allegedly took a gun used during patrols and smuggled it out to commit the crime. A 13-year-old boy managed to survive by hiding beside a bed during the attack, writes The Midweek Sun.

Over the week since the incident, there has been accusations and counter accusations between family members and close relatives of the deceased and those of the army man. The army man’s family, according to interviews and audio clips shared by digital media outlet Isaac Pinielo Live, the army man was angry that e was being blackmailed for a crime he had not committed. They added the soldier had been taking care of the slain family, including building the house he burnt. This was of course refuted by the family of the deceased, who said their house had long been built before Mokomeng was employed. In fact, according to an account shared by The Midweek Sun, Mokomeng was one of the ‘labourers’ helping out when the house was built as he was not employed. The family has since appealed for space to mourn as they prepare to bury their loved ones this weekend.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.